Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Perfect Game

There's been no shortage of perfect games in the world of baseball over the past few years it seems. But to experience a call night with no consults, no traumas involving neurosurgical needs, and no ER admissions is something akin to the holy grail of a neurosurgery resident's call night at a level one trauma center in the middle of one of the largest cities in the United States. But the gods were kind last night, and for my 101st call as an R2 I had a no hitter. Going into any call you pray that it'll be a light day. With the post operative checks, the 15 patients in the ICU, and the 20 some odd patients on the floor any given call can potentially be a busy one without the steady flow of consults from other services or the emergency department. As a lot of what we do as physicians is innately pattern recognition, my co-residents and I have become increasingly superstitious about our rituals and routines that we perform to ensure a quiet call night. Initially when I started I noted that whenever I brought my book bag to get some reading done, I would be hammered by incessant calls from the ED and direct admissions from clinic. Suffice it to say my book bag has not experienced much use in the past few months. Granted, it's a little healthier and far less harmful than one of my co-residents who believes that the number of chocolate muffins consumed will be inversely proportional to the number of consults he'll get while on call (true story). I don't see them to be correlated to how busy his calls are at all... but now he's addicted and can't stop eating them.

101 calls done people. Only 12 more overnight calls for this academic year. Don't get me wrong, we'll still be doing in house call as a 3rd year, but it'll be more along the lines of 3 times a month instead of every third night.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

I'm a quixotic idealist that's readjusting to the reality of the world around him. An aesthetic at heart, willing to not shower a week at a time to go camping, exploring, hiking, etc. I love food, poker, and anything that can be turned into a competition.